Leg cramps are a problem that almost everyone faces at some point in their life. These cramps can be incredibly painful and very disruptive to sleep and activities. Luckily there are many great natural options for treating leg cramps. If you or someone you know has problems with leg cramps while in bed or after activity or after sitting for long periods, follow these steps to feel better soon!
- Drink lots of water and if you’re exercising, make sure some of your fluids have electrolytes in them (coconut water, sports drinks, etc)
- Get moving! If you don’t move around much during the day, start with a gentle walk to get muscles warmed up
- Stretch. If you do get exercise, stretch those legs after every session by doing toe touches and heel drops (while standing with just your toes on a stair, let your heels drop down to stretch your calf muscles)
- Magnesium! Try magnesium lotion (available at Alpine Acupuncture), a calcium magnesium vitamin supplement or an Epsom salts soak for your legs. Magnesium is a very gentle and natural muscle relaxant.
- If you don’t get relief from these steps or if you have other pain, try acupuncture or massage to increase blood flow and relax tight muscles.